"It doesn't cost a thing to smile...You don't have to pay to laugh" India Arie

Monday, May 24, 2010

Back in the saddle again...

It feels good to go back to volunteering again! Had a volunteer training tonight to get started at The Matthews House and I'm very excited. I put off volunteering this last year and a half to get through school and all of my other responsibilities, and I almost think it's part of my lower Maslow's Hierarchy of needs...I have to do it!


So after looking at places around Fort Collins and thinking of places to volunteer, The Matthews House really struck me for a number of reasons. First, I've already volunteered at a domestic violence agency, a senior center, a prenatal program for low income women, and various agencies on a one or two time basis-I would like to try something new. The Matthews House works with youth that need positive adult interaction. They may need to learn that not every adult is going to let them down, that they do have positive qualities, that they can succeed at something; they may need to learn vital life skills such as graduating high school or getting a GED, applying/keeping a job, cooking, balancing a checkbook. Volunteering for an agency that takes this on appeals to me because there were many people in my life that took me in and taught me many of these things and they were not my parents.


Here is the website to The Matthews House: http://www.thematthewshouse.org/


Check them out. If you live in the area and can support them, please do!


If anything, be inspired in your own way to give back to your community by volunteering.

No comments:

Post a Comment